Progress on the wedding dresses…kind of

Since I posted about the plans for my wedding dresses a month ago, I feel like I’ve made little progress. I’ve been to the shops to buy the rest of the materials I need, but I’ve rarely had time to work on it.

Work’s been realy busy and when it’s not, I’ve been stuck in wedding planning details (working out seating arrangements for family, finding quotes for hair and makeup, planning my hen party, to name a few), meeting with friends while also trying to keep up with classes, so for the amount of time I’ve spent on my dresses, there’s not much to show for it.


Without cutting the pattern and lace, I couldn’t take samples with me to find the right shades of fabric I needed for the lining (and silk backed crepe for my white wedding dress), so I needed to get started on this, at least, even during my busy periods.


White and wine red lace

I never thought that trying to work with heavy lace fabric on a table would be so cumbersome and difficult, especially when your pattern is even thinner than paper! Every time I tried to shift the fabric so I could better pin/cut the fabric, this sometimes tore the part of pattern that was pinned in place.


Pinning the pattern to the red lace for my Chinese wedding dress

Having spent 2 afternoons cutting the patterns and lace, all I’ve got to show for 8 hours worth of work is exactly that: cut pattern pieces, and pieces of lace for both dresses.


The front piece of my red Chinese wedding dress

I also ended up taking 3 trips to 2 fabric shops (and a bit of eBay ingenuity) before I managed to find everything I needed. Who knew it would be so difficult to find the right shade of red for the lining? Some were too bright and others too dark. Even when I finally managed to pick out a similar shade of lining, I had a hard time deciding whether or not it was the right shade. I’m sure I looked a right nutter at the shop, walking back and forth in front of the selection of red lining. As if that wasn’t enough, I had to take various photos (with and without flash) with my phone to see how it looked on camera. I couldn’t be sure whether the one I chose was right or not.


I eventually decided with the lining on the right as it was close enough and works well with the colour of the lace

I’ve managed to take a few days off from work this week to spend quality time working more on (and hopefully finishing!) the dresses. I’m really looking forward to having the time off just to do something productive for my wedding wardrobe. I never thought I would get itchy fingers to work on the sewing machine!

Will hopefully have more updates for you eager readers soon!

Advertisements

Don't forget to leave a comment before you leave!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s